Review cycles are the assignment of the same review template to a set of employees. These work well when you are going to be doing the same review for a group or perhaps employees in similar positions. Cycles also provide visualization opportunities where you can see review results across multiple subjects. To create or manage a review cycle, navigate to the Reviews page under the Company Info menu. You will see listed any existing cycles; you can also navigate to the All Reviews list to see any review done in PerformYard.
To set up a new review cycle, click New Review Cycle to follow the three steps of creating a cycle – setting basic parameters, selecting employees to be reviewed and finalizing admin options.
To begin, set the basic parameters for the cycle:
- The cycle name
- The template that you want to use for the cycle
- The start date (and time) for the cycle
Next, select the employees that you want to review. You may individually select employees by checking the box to the left of their name. You can also search for a specific employee using the search box above the table.
You can also select the "Add Group" button to the right of the search box to select a specific group or all employees.
Each person in the selected group will then appear with a check to the left of their name.
You can then display just those employees that have been selected using the Show Only Selected Employees checkbox to the right.
After selecting the appropriate set of employees to include, click Next to move to the final step. For this step you potentially have two options:
- Only Group Admins Can Edit Reviews – you can lock each review to only be edited by administrators, thereby limiting manager-level permissions to modify a review
- Group Admin access – only available if all employees are in the same group, you can give access to this cycle's data to that group's administrators
Once a cycle has been created, you can click on its name to see the cycle details. Cycle details include:
- Cycle name
- Start date
- Template assigned
- Due date
- Number of reviews in the cycle
- Pie charts indicating the number of reviews and forms fully complete
- Bar charts indicating the overall author and signer completion
As well, you'll see a list of each subject reviewed in the cycle, including a link on the left to Open Review. Additionally you have indicators for if the review has unassigned forms or includes external reviews. Then there are bar charts for author completion, signer completion and form completion.
An Options menu in the upper left includes links to:
- Visualize data, where you can create visualizations about the reviews in the cycle (covered here)
- Edit the cycle’s parameters to change the name and start date (if the cycle has not started)
- Add subjects to the cycle, where you will select more individual employees to include
- Download CSV to export the answers to all forms in the review cycle for all subjects
- Copy the cycle to create a duplicate where you can edit parameters of the duplicate cycle
- Close cycle, where you can close out each review in the cycle
- Delete cycle, where you can remove the cycle (only available for cycles that have not yet started or where there are no reviews in the cycle)
Editing the cycle is where you update parameters of the cycle. You can:
- Update the cycle name
- Change the start date (only if the review has not started yet)
Adding subjects to a cycle will allow you to search for and select additional individuals to include in the review cycle and select when the newly added employee reviews will begin. Newer cycles will not show individuals already in the cycle when you add them.
Note that an employee can only be included in a cycle once.
For any review cycle, you can view information about each subject's review, including due date, progress and the number of unassigned/external review forms. You also have options to Open Review, on the far left which will let you see the details of the forms in the review, and Delete, on the far right which will remove the review entirely.
There are additional search and filter options available on any cycle above the table of employees being reviewed. To search, just type in the name of the person whose review you want to find.
To filter, click the Filter button to the right of the search. The filter includes a number of options on those reviews, such as:
- Unassigned forms
- External forms
- Due date, before or after
- Author, signer and overall progress
Click Update after selecting your search parameters, and the table of employees being reviewed will update to just those that meet the filter criteria.